GROW! Community Garden Rules
GROW! Community Gardeners of Manitowish Waters, Inc. exists to serve a need for those residents that relish the joy of gardening. To ensure everyone has a common understanding of how our garden will operate and what is expected of each gardener and visitor to the garden, we’ve developed the following GARDEN RULES:
- Annual garden plot fees. Annual garden plot fees must be paid in full before October 15. Following that date, all unpaid/reserved plots will be released to community residents on the Waiting List. You have first-right to your plot from the previous year. Each gardener must complete and submit a “Release of All Claims” form before any work in the garden can begin. Once assigned a plot, cultivating and planting must start by June 15.
- No unaccompanied children or visitors. Guests and visitors, including children, may enter the Garden when accompanied by a Plot holder. Children should be supervised at all times. The plot holder bears responsibility for the behavior of their guests.
- Gardens must be well maintained at all times. Plots must be maintained throughout the year. Gardeners are responsible for removing weeds and grasses between weed barrier and base of their garden beds. No disposal of weeds or diseased plant material at or around garden site. At the end of the growing season, gardeners are responsible for clearing their plot of all plant material.
- Pack out trash. All non-organic refuse brought in must be removed by the gardener, including: plastic bottles, cans, bags, etc.
- No chemicals. Materials that may be harmful to humans or the environment are not allowed within the garden. The application of chemical herbicides (weed killers) or fertilizers to any garden plot is prohibited.
- No grass clippings. To prevent accidental introduction of Bermuda grass and other weeds, the use of grass clippings is not allowed within the garden.
- Respect garden boundaries. Plots should not be allowed to expand into pathways or other plots. All plants, plant runners, vegetables, and stakes should be kept within the walled boundaries of each plot.
- No contraband substances. Plants considered illegal under State or Federal law are strictly prohibited.
- No Smoking. All areas within and surrounding the fenced Garden premises are established as a “smoke free” zone. Please do not dispose of cigarette butts in parking areas.
- No dogs or pets allowed. Pets or other animals are not allowed within the Garden premises.
- No parking along Airport Road.
- No undesirable behavior. The use of illegal drugs or playing loud music within the garden is strictly prohibited. The proper authorities will be immediately notified to handle and escort from the Garden premises any person(s) appearing to be impaired or under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs. Loitering on Garden premises is not allowed.
- Report vandalism. Vandalism and other damage within the garden should be reported to the Vilas County Sheriff’s Department (715) 479-4441 and to the MW Community Garden Steering Committee at (262) 366-3718.
- Not responsible for losses.Gardeners accept all risks related to participation within the community garden. Neither the MW Community Garden nor its Steering Committee are responsible for any loss, damage, costs, or injury suffered by gardeners or visitors associated with participation in the MW Community Garden.
- Final decisions. All garden complaints should be written and directed to the Manitowish Waters Community Garden Steering Committee; which reserves the right to render a final decision concerning any dispute related to the Community Garden, community garden rules and/or garden participation.
Your compliance with the above regulations will help everyone have an enjoyable and prosperous garden.
Your Steering Committee